Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas

These are my family's favorite enchiladas!  The first time we had this meal was a few years ago when the boys and I were all totally sick with the flu.  I didn't have the energy to cook, and so at night we would have a can of Campbell's soup, or one night I just warmed up some Country Crock Mashed Potatoes that we had in the refrigerator, because I didn't have the energy to do anything else.  My sister, Angie, offered to bring dinner one night.  I was so thankful to have a warm meal that had been prepared for me!!!  This is one of those times I really should have called the Relief Society President and told her I was in need...but just like most of you women, I didn't want to put anyone out (naughty me!).  These were just amazing!!!  I have made these for dinner when we have had company over, and everyone wants the recipe.  They are unique and are one of those few recipes that tastes better as it sits in the fridge and is great for lunch or dinner for the next day (if you have any leftover).

I usually make a pan of these once a week to put in a tupperware container in the fridge.  I have kids, and a husband who are constantly coming and going.  If I have some on hand, they can grab some good, homemade food as they run home from school and head to work, or other activities.  The entire family rates these enchiladas a 9.5 or a 10.

Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas

Marinade:
1/2 C.. honey
 6 TBLS. lime juice ( 2 large limes)
 1 TBLS. chili powder
3/4  tsp. garlic powder.

1 lb. cooked shredded chicken breast (or 2 cans chicken)

16 oz. Monterey Jack and Colby Cheese  (I suppose you could use whatever you have on hand and it would be good)

Enchilada Sauce:

1 small can Green Chile Enchilada Sauce ( I prefer mild)
1/3 C. sour cream

 You cook 1 lb. chicken breast and shred it (I actually use 2 cans of chicken. It is way faster and just as good). Put the shredded chicken in the marinade and marinate it for at least half an hour.  Lightly grease a 9 x13  pan. When you are ready to assemble the enchiladas, make the enchilada sauce.  Fill flour tortillas with the chicken and about a tablespoon of cheese. Place the tortillas seam side down in pan. When the chicken is gone, keep the leftover marinade and add to it the enchilada sauce and sour cream.  Mix together and then pour all of that over the enchiladas. Sprinkle cheese on top of the sauce covered enchiladas. Bake at  350* for half an hour. ( I like to make a little extra marinade...it is really good.) This makes about 10-11 enchiladas! 



No comments:

Post a Comment